Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Success?

I am continuing to wrestle with the idea of success. Through various activities I noticed that success was always measured by numbers. I find this sad and unnerveing. Shane Claiborne, in Irrestible Revolution, uses humor to argue that often when the gospel is preached numbers begin to fall. There is significant truth behind this. The gospel is convicting and we are left with two responses, either repentance or rejection. In repentance we find true freedom and healing, rejection leaves us feeling at best unworthy, and at worst condemned/guilty. What if instead of focusing on numbers for success, we looked at the body to measure how is its faith being practiced. Are we welcoming others into our homes practicing hospitality? Are we caring for the family down the street who looks different from us? Are we serving the homeless man on the street corner? Or do we let these daily opportunites pass us by? Success has very little to do with us, is the conculsion I am coming to. Our role in success is God creating the circumstances and us being obedient. No one is a "self-made" man. All of our talents, gifts, abilities, very breath is from God.
In Hollywood, the idea of success is largely based on numbers, particularily money. Yet our whole system is set-up so that if I have, you must not have. I may choose to share, but you are dependent on that choosing. This is wrong. Why for me to succeed must you fail? I am not sure what the answer is, I am seeing huge value in the biblical mandate for jubilee. If success requires me to push my brother/sister down, I want nothing to do with it. If success achieved through God honoring means allows me to help my brother/sister, I am all for it. I think what I truly desire is for equal power for all people, so everyone truly does have a voice and a opportunity to succeed.

No comments: