Friday, October 10, 2008

A story

Hey friends,
I feel like I have alot to share but words are failing. Today was a powerful day. I talked with a youth about who he is and he strengths. "Milo" has had a lot of people leaving and rejecting him throughout his short life. He wrestles with balancing seeking acceptance/love with being true to who he really is. I felt honored and privleged to enter into this conversation with him. I helped him focus his thoughts and engaged in further dialouge as he seeks the best options for him, and him solely. He wants to succeed yet sees huge obstacles, he sees friends on the streets making quick money through illegal activites. He knows he doesn't want to go down that road again, but at times it can feel like the only option to him. As we talked, I helped him identify that he values education, and that education can help open many doors. We talked about finding a part-time job and possibility of job experience as a class to help him finish school and work at the same time. He shared that he wants to be a contractor. We identified the key needs of the profession on the job site talking about what classes both in his last year of high school and in college he would need to focus in on. He left ready to continue pursuing the good as he viewed it. While I helped Milo, Milo was a huge blessing to me. I was humbled as I helped him identify the things he excels at and is passionate about. I am continually impressed by this young man as he stands up to pressure in his neighborhood to either join a gang or in the illegal activity. He challenged my notion of how I am to serve this year, and for that most of all I am grateful

No comments: