Monday, October 13, 2008

Philosphical Thought

As I was reading this past week one line in particular has stayed with me. While I have heard it mulitple times previously, it has really struck a chord this past week. The quote is
"Live simply, so others may simply live". I am again quickly being disgusted by the consumerism in our society. Some people around me have been in upheaval as a result of the stock market, understandably so on one level. Yet compared to 80% of the world, we have riches beyond the imagination, both in freedoms and materialistically. I am becoming very aware of my spending habits and the shops I frequent. This year I made a personal decision to not purchase new clothes, with an undergarment exception clause. This serves two purposes: 1) I have plenty of clothes 2)I will save money 3) It helps keep stuff from being wasted when there is plenty of good use left. Some of my favorite shirts have come from thrift stores. I have shared my views what is your view of the above quote?

No comments: