Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Hard Times

This last week has been a challenge. Fortunately life is good with my housemates and in ministry. Personally, I have been battling depression. For those who don't know, this has been going on since I was a teen. It is not a continious thing, but rather a moment by moment. I am blessed that through DOOR I have a great support system in my city director, the board, my housemates and the church. On the 9th of this month was the 5 year anniversary of my mom passing. I suspect that is what triggered my depression. Even in the midst of the negativity, I see God's beauty. For our time as a community, we choose to go to Griffith Park and have our time there. I was surrounded by God's creation and its beauty. On some level I was overwhelmed with God's love being shown through creation. It also brought to the front some personal struggles, but I am grateful none the less. Today, I was blessed to visit a potential future agency with my city director. I was impressed by the organization and their focus not only within their specific clientelle, but also in serving the community that they are located. I have visited and participated in similar agencies, yet none had an aspect of community outreach. This encouraged me in a way I can't explain right now. I was also reminded of an idea from this summer: everyone is rich and everyone is poor. You might be rich in resources but lacking in interpersonal relationshps, whereas I might be rich in interpersonal relationships, but lacking in resources. As I type, I am realizing how much this was lived out in the early church. I am learning that in sharing where am I at both emotionally and spritually allows me to not only to be served more effectively (one of key ideas) but also to serve as my true needs are being met.

No comments: