Sunday, January 25, 2009

Hello dear friends,
I apologize for the lack of blog of late. It has been a busy time. Alot of ministry both as part of my program and outside of it. As indicated in the letter home and previous post, I am staying in LA for longer than one year. I love the cultural diversity and the variety of languages I am surrounded by any given day. In recognizing that I will be here longer than a year, I am developing relationships outside of my immediate community. I am attending a young adult bible study/fellowship group that provides some of this, as well as investing in my co-workers at my agency.
There has been alot on my mind. Questions of balancing availability with need for self-care. I am asking alot about the way we do church. The church I attend in Hollywood has security. I am acclimated to it. Yet I wonder what message does it send to both the person attending for the first time and those whom live in the community. Orginially the church was open to all, and provided sanctuary for all who needed. Now it seems we are scared to let our church get dirty, that the church is there to serve our needs. I believe firmly that the church does not exist to meet our needs, but rather to point to the one who can meet all our needs. I love that on a daily basis, I am presented with opportunites to be Jesus with skin on. At my agency, I don't share the gospel directly. Instead I am blessed with the opportunity to truly hear where people are on their journey, encourage them to continue seeking the truth, and help them discern how their view of God shapes their life.
I am also able to serve and be served by the young adult group I attend. I have been blessed by one particular person from this group. She has been a vent and unafraid to push back and challenge me. In addition, one of the men from this group volunteers at the house where I both live and serve with my roommates in ministry.
Please be in prayer. We have began to formalize plans in starting a community garden. Pray for words with our local board, ways to more fully give ownership to the local community over this patch of land. Thanks

No comments: