Thursday, January 22, 2009

Jan. letter

Hello friends,
The last month has been one of an sense of self awareness. I have been able to step back and begin to see the possibility for change in the community I live within. One vision we have had is to start a community garden. To this end, we have been able to network with a large variety of people helping to bridge those who have resources to those who don't have resources. In relation to my agency, I am asking some bigger questions and seeking ways to better understand how the agency is ran. I am learning more and also challenging the agency to look at things from a different angle.
We are entering our fourth month and are begining to look to after this year. From this alot of questions are raised. In the midst of this, is an awareness that I am making a difference. From playing/teaching basketball to 6 year old boys, listening to neighbors whom have had a hard day and need to vent, to sitting down with youth and showing them their thoughts and opinions are valued. As I will be staying in the area for school next year, I am considering ways to be involved next year. Our first three months were simply meeting people and establishing new relationships, as no one was present to bridge the gap. We are now feeling comfortable both with one another and in the community. One of my personal goals is to reach out more than simply on our block. We are surrounded by aparment complexes and see numerous kids every day. My goal is to introduce myself to at least 5 new families a month and explain our program. My prayer is that by taking the initative some of the unknowns will be broken and we can begin to do more focused outreach not only to kids but to the whole family.
On a personal level, I am blessed to have multiple people who challenge me to grow and also just have fun with. I am currently working through a devotional related to healing from yucky things in our pasts. The area of focus is the attributes of God. I am gaining a deeper and fuller understanding of who God calls himself. The ideas are not new, but seeing them through the lens of loss and pain has been a new concept. I wrestle with some of the ideas as my intellect desires concrete answers, yet they are not readily available. Instead, I have the ability of wrestling and discerning my own answers, granted it doesn't always feel like a privelge. Please continue to pray for discernment for each of us regarding our plans for after this year. It is never far from our minds. Please continue to pray for peace and grace with one another as well. Thank you for your support.
In Christ
mary

1 comment:

PLC.Doctor said...

Mary,
Each time I read one of your posts and think about the things you are doing in the betterment of His Kingdom I am saddened to think of the 220 building sitting empty most of the time when it could be used in much the same way as what you are doing in Hollywood. I am tired of our church bickering about our denomination and not going out showing Christ's love while being his hands and feet to the neighborhood around us.