Monday, March 23, 2009

March Newsletter

Dear Friends,
I could explain the delay between letters as a result of the busyness of life, which would be true. I could say March came to quickly as a result of Feburary being a short month, made moreso as I travelled during Feburary, and again it would be true. But not the whole truth. While a small part of the above, really, I have been feeling alot of emotions deeply. The last week of Feburary, I had the privelege of travelling to Hanford and share a bit of Hollywood through conversations. It was really good to be home and have some time away from the city. I love the life and craziness of the city, but I love being able to be still. It was good to reconnect with some of you. Earlier in feburary a good friend was able to visit Hollywood and have a small glimpse of my life this year. It was good to be able to share my life with people.
The last two months have found me doing some level of counseling with clients at the agency I serve. From talking about relationships to crisis counseling, i have been challenged in how to best help clients. Topics have been both common and personal. The last few weeks, some of the topics have been personally challenging. I have had the privelege of walking with clients into sacred space. From clients who are rejected for who they are, to sitting with clients who find out family members are diagnosed with terminal illness. In these vulenerable moments, I am able to be the light of Christ in a space labeled "Non-religious" After one particularily hard situtation, I had a huge compliment from a client. He said, "I don't know what to think about Christianity. You actually care rather than judge me." He is realizing his own stereotypes of others, openning his world.
While I was home, I recieved hard news related to my agency. Due to the economy, My Friend's Place (MFP/my agency) would be closing on weekends, as well as letting 4 colleauges go. This is huge. MFP was of the few services open on weekends for youth to find a meal. I was able to say a proper good-bye to my four colleauges. Unlike most jobs, our job is all about relationship. In saying good-bye to colleauges, I feel like I am saying good-bye to family, uncertain of when I will see them again. I had not realized previously how connected I felt to MFP. I am grieving the loss. It has been challenging as I grieve yet serve in the midst of that grief.
On a different note, I am reminded of the blessing of a support system. My roommates heard the news from friends. Upon returning back to Hollywood, I was able to share and wrestle with the emotions I was experincing. I have amazing roommates who are willing to enter into the grief with me, but also be distractions. I have the space and emotional safety to be vulenerable. I have formed solid friendships that can support me in prayer as I struggle with balancing emotions and life.
I invite you to check out the MFP webpage (www.myfriendsplace.org) If you feel lead please give. If you would like to know more please e-mail me. I am happy to share more of my experiences. Given my schedule, if you would like to talk on the phone, again please e-mail me to arrange a time.
Thank you for your support.
How can you be in prayer?
Finances for my own fundraising. I still need a signifcant amount. Please contact me if interested in how you can support me.
Finances for My Friends Place. Please also be in prayer for the staff and clients as we adjust to new schedules and finding new resources for clients
Community Garden: We need volunteers to continue progress. If local to LA and interested please contact me. Finances for plants, seeds, compost, other needs
House: discernment for future. Doors are open for all three of my housemates, but some of them need to begin to close for guidance. Please join me in prayer for each of them (Alison, Sara, Stephanie)
Thank you again
Love
mary

No comments: