Monday, September 22, 2008

Week of Firsts

I have experienced many firsts this week. Mostly good, some a little nerve racking. I had my first few days at my site this past week. It was good times. I was able to really connect with a few of our female clients. Hearing their stories helps me appreciate the people who chose to invest in me. I have become even more aware how easily I could have went down a path of poor choices. Yet people in my life loved me enough to go through the hard times with me.
I am also realizing the importance of self identity, both from my agency and from my team. Currently, we are the "new dwellers" to most of the neighborhood. I enjoy the community, but also know that it is important for me to explore and develop my sense of self. This needs to occur both within and apart from the community. How that will look is uncertain, but I know I need it to occur for my own growth.
I am wrestling with the idea culturally that poverty is solely related to money. This summer one of our premisis was that Everyone is rich and Everyone is poor just in different ways. We are called to share the areas where we are poor allowing those to be filled by others strengths and to share our strengths with those who may be lacking in those areas.

No comments: